Romances Ever After. Powered by Blogger.

Sexy, fun, and hits you in the feels: Guarding His Heart by Synithia Williams

by Synithia Williams
Series: Scoring for Love #3
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Harlequin Kimani Romance
Publication Date: July 1st 2018
Source: ARC received for review
Rating: ★★★★
Amazon | Google Play | B&N | Harlequin

Sizzling-hot basketball star Kevin Koucky plans to end his career with a bang by posing au naturel in a magazine feature. When photographer Jasmin Hook agrees to take the assignment, she never expects the risqué photo shoot to end with a sensual slam dunk. But the handsome athlete comes with children and an ex-wife—emotional baggage Jasmin can’t handle. Little does she know that Kevin always plays to win...

It's a case of love at first sight with me and Guarding His Heart. I mean, look at that cover! Total romance vibe. And I'm happy to report that after finishing this book, my love for this book is even stronger. 

The story started with our H/h meeting at a nude photoshoot, where Kevin was the subject and Jasmine the photographer. Sparks basically sizzled from the moment they set eyes upon each other. Kevin is so hot, if he turned his charms on me I would have melted on the spot. Jasmine was obviously built from stronger stuff than me, so she was able to keep her cool and flirt with him back (and didn't fall for his lines like I would have). The banter was fun and I'm weak for character banter, so I knew from the beginning that I'd be invested in this couple.

What worked for me is the characters. I love Kevin and Jasmine together. They have solid chemistry. I love seeing them work together on Jasmine's photography project, hanging out, and flirting with each other. The flirting, oh my god! I think I've never read a book that is just full of H/h flirting before??? Synithia did an amazing job with this, and I think everyone should follow her footsteps.

Kevin and Jasmine had issues from their past experiences. Kevin thought he wasn't built for love and forever after two failed relationships, and Jasmine got her heart broken when she found herself being the rebound girl. They started seeing each other over the summer for fun (because seriously, it's inevitable that these two get together), but things got a little complicated as the story went and Kevin and Jasmine both found themselves wanting more than just a summer fling. What I really liked is how the story is angsty without unnecessary external drama thrown in it, just the way I like it. Kevin and Jasmine both needed to learn to put the past behind and trust their hearts, as well as each other. 

Aside from the romance, I really liked the secondary characters. Kevin's grandmother is a sweetheart. I love Kevin's relationship with his family and the people from the town he grew up in, as well as his teammates. He's a great father to his four kids, and he even has good relationships with his ex-wife and ex-girlfriend (KA, take some notes! jk I love you but TAKE NOTES). I also love Jasmine's relationship with her sister Jada, and I also liked seeing Jasmine rekindling her relationship with her ex-stepmother. 

Overall, it was a satisfying read. The grand gesture made me cry, and I love that Synithia ended the story with an epilogue. I'm looking forward to going through Synithia's backlist and reading more of her works. I really recommend this book if you're looking for something sexy yet emotional to read.


No comments

Hi. Thanks for leaving a message. I'll make sure to reply to you as soon as I can. :)