Romances Ever After. Powered by Blogger.

Of witty banter, sarcasm and a second chance at romance // Making Up by Lucy Parker

by Lucy Parker
Series: London Celebrities #3
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Carina Press
Publication Date: May 29th 2018
Source: ARC received for review, pre-order copy
Rating: ★★★★★


It's fireworks onstage and off in a sexy enemies-to-lovers showdown. 

Once upon a time, circus artist Trix Lane was the best around. Her spark vanished with her confidence, though, and reclaiming either has proved…difficult. So when the star of The Festival of Masks is nixed and Trix is unexpectedly thrust into the spotlight, it's exactly the push she needs. But the joy over her sudden elevation in status is cut short by a new hire on the makeup team.
Leo Magasiva: disgraced wizard of special effects. He of the beautiful voice and impressive beard. Complete dickhead and—in an unexpected twist—an enragingly good kisser.

To Leo, something about Trix is…different. Lovely. Beautiful, even though the pint-size, pink-haired former bane of his existence still spends most of her waking hours working to annoy him. They've barely been able to spend two minutes together for years, and now he can't get enough of her. On stage. At home. In his bed.

When it comes to commitment, Trix has been there, done that, never wants to do it again. Leo's this close to the job of a lifetime, which would take him away from London—and from Trix. Their past is a constant barrier between them.

It seems hopeless.

Utterly impossible.

​And yet...

[Book CW: abusive relationship mentions, panic attacks]

Okay.

I don't know what is in the New Zealand waters but like??? Lucy has managed to give us greatness for three consecutive books, and if that isn't black magic then I don't know what is.

Kidding.

It's obviously pure talent, not magic.

Although Pretty Face remains my favourite book (so far) in this series, I have so much love for Making Up. I finished the ARC weeks ago and when my pre-order came through I did another reread, and I love this book even more.

Talent, I tell you.

Sigh.

Where do I start?

I love Trix so much, she's such a great character. I admire her strength and resilience, and I even love her flaws and fears, because that makes her much more relatable and human. She survived an emotionally abusive relationship, and her art is affected from the trauma of it. It breaks my heart a little to see her struggling to recover her self-confidence and seeing her doubt herself.

Leo is hilarious, I love him. He's a bit of a prick, but that quality is needed when you have to verbally spar with Trix. Leo's wit and snark actually reminds me a lot of Richard, but while Richard's a bit of arrogant son of a banshee, Leo is more on the smartass side and definitely less broody. I love his passion for comics and special effects, and he is such a good brother too???

Also, did you know that he keeps a hedgehog named Reggie? Adorable.

I love Trix and Leo together even more. Making Up started with these two having this animosity laced with sexual tension, and it was so entertaining to watch them butt heads. The banter was so good! They're both a pair of smartasses. What made me adore them as a couple is the fact that they had history. Trix and Leo knew each other for a long time, so they knew each other even though they did spend 10 years going for each other's throats whenever they were in a room together. They knew each other best. I love their intimate moments just as much as I love their verbal sparring.

"You know, when you're not annoying the hell out of me, you might be my favourite person."

Oh yeah, it's worth mentioning that Making Up is full of my favourite tropes: enemies to lovers (obviously), second chance (Trix and Leo were once tight in high school until their falling out), forced proximity (they are roommates) ...

This book definitely hit all my kinks.

Overall, Making Up exceeded my expectations, and the epilogue made me cry, it was so lovely. Did I mention that Lily and Luc had cameos in this book? I'm so glad that we're getting two more books in this series because I'm not ready to part with this world and characters. If you haven't read this series, you're missing out!





No comments

Hi. Thanks for leaving a message. I'll make sure to reply to you as soon as I can. :)