Romances Ever After. Powered by Blogger.

I listened to Tycoon and I didn't like it

HEYYYYY!


I feel like I haven't posted here in ages, but it has only been a couple of weeks... SORRY! I've been so busy, and I haven't had much time to stop by. Also, I've been extremely occupied watching the World Cup :D (Portugal just moved forward to the round of 16, and I'm super excited about it).

Now, talking about books. I haven't been reading/listening much this month, again, been super busy, but I wanted to talk to you guys about a book that I didn't like. Yeah, I usually don't purposefully write reviews about books I didn't like, unless they're for ARCs, but this one just annoyed me, and I wanted to talk about it. 

So, here it is, my review of Tycoon by Katy Evans. This was my first book by her, btw...



TYCOON
by Katy Evans
Series: Manhattan #1
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: Simon & Shuster Audio
Publication Date: June 20th 2017
Source: Scribd (audio book)
Rating: ★★
He wasn't always this rich. This hot. This difficult.
Aaric Christos was a guy who protected me. Wanted me. Maybe even loved me.
That man is gone.
In his place is the most powerful real estate tycoon in the city.
He's a cold, ruthless, aggressive businessman.
The only one who can save me and my start-up from ruin.
It takes every ounce of courage to put my pride aside and ask for his help.
I didn't expect him to offer it easily.
And he doesn't.
Instead he vets me harder than he's vetted anyone.
Don't invest in what you don't know, he says.
He's assessing every piece of me, to the point I've never felt so bare.
I yearn for the boy I once knew, whose touch once craved me.
Putting it all on the line will be worth it, I tell myself.
Until I realize - too late - that some risks are not worth taking.

I will start by saying that I was warned about this one. Ari, from The Romance Corner told me that she hadn't liked the book... She warned me! But I kind of thought that I needed to find out for myself, because I really liked the cover, and it was a short audiobook, so why not?!

Yeah, it was not the best idea. I didn't like the writing, I had a lot of issues following the jumps in scenes and dialog. It honestly felt like it was written and never properly reviewed, because some things didn't make much sense.


The mains characters were Bryn and Aaric. First I would like to say that I would have been happy if she would have picked one way to address Aaric Christos and stuck with it, because Bryn spends the whole time going from one name to another. That's not a likely behaviour at all... when you get along with someone, you don't usually jump between their first 2 names.

Moving on... What were those characters?!

Bryn. I'm trying to think about positive things about her, and I'm coming up a little short. She fought for her dreams, and she had a trauma she tried to deal with in any way she could, and I admired her for those things. But she was overall just meh....


And Aaric?! Oh boy, I just wanted to slap him the whole time. I couldn't quite understand him, which was frustrating as hell. I liked his tenacity and the fact that he was a self made man. But he was terrible, the way he lied to Bryn at first. And then, his choice when everything comes to shove?! WTF??? He was a guy who wanted a family and a loving family at that, but then, he was also a guy who wouldn't mind in the least to have a marriage of convenience because "it made sense". Yeah, I didn't get it.

A lot of things on their past story didn't make much sense. And the writing on some scenes was like WOW. Let me just say that their first sex scene came out of nowhere...

Okay. I didn't like the plot all that much. Look, I love second chance romances, I love the business guy troope too. It didn't work on this story at all. Their past feelings for each other were a jumbled mess. And their actions in the past was a reflection of that. More, the way they acted in the present was even worse.


I also felt like the romantic relationship between them was never fully developed. It was too based on the fact that they has feelings for each other when they were younger. They don't try to get to know each other better in the present, there is no character development, or relationship development. It is just told that they're in love. And I thought "WHY?".

I could see where the book was going, and I was really hoping it would somehow no go there. But it did. It was a cliché, and I somehow was expecting better. And I hated the way it was resolved. First of all, I didn't think the situation should have been an issue from the start. But then the "resolution" is convenient and doesn't even close the narrative.

So, overall, this book was not good at all. I'm sorry if the review is a mess too, but I could not do any better.


Have you guys read this book?
What are your thoughts on it?

No comments

Hi. Thanks for leaving a message. I'll make sure to reply to you as soon as I can. :)