Romances Ever After. Powered by Blogger.

Review: Smooth-Talking Stranger by Lisa Kleypas

Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)SMOOTH-TALKING STRANGER
by Lisa Kleypas
Series: The Travises #3
Genres: Contemporary
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Publication Date: March 31st 2009
Source: Bought
Rating: ★★★★★
Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Jack Travis leads the uncomplicated life of a millionaire Texas playboy. He makes no commitments, he loves many women, he lives for pleasure. But no one has ever truly touched his heart or soul.

Until one day, a woman appears on his doorstep with fury on her face and a baby in her arms. It seems Jack is the father and this woman is the baby’s aunt.

The real mother has abandoned the child to her more responsible sister. And now, Jack is being called upon to take responsibility for the first time in his life.

With delicious romantic tension, characters so real they walk onto the page and into your heart, Lisa Kleypas delivers the kind of novel that makes you laugh, love; cry and cheer.

Smooth-Talking Stranger is yet another Lisa Kleypas book that I read ages ago, but never reviewed. So when I re-read last week, I thought it would be a good idea to also share a review with you guys. This was actually my first book by the author and it holds a very special place in my heart because of that. I've read more LK books that were better for sure, but this one still was amazing and a complete treat to read.

What I really love about Lisa Kleypas' characters is how she's able to make characters that I wouldn't necessarily want as friends in real life likeable. Ella was the perfect example of such a Lisa Kleypas character. Don't get me wrong, I love Ella very dearly, but I honestly doubt she and I would mesh well together in real life. At the start of the book, Ella is forced to leave her kid-hating boyfriend to go take care of her sister's newborn baby while she attends a mental health clinic. Ella had a rough past growing up, because of her mother being entirely too selfish. She grew up never really experiencing maternal love, so to be handed this baby came as a huge shock to her. Despite her past though, Ella turned out to be a gentle and loving caretaker to her nephew, Luke. The bond that Ella formed with Luke in Smooth-Talking Stranger was one of my favorite parts of the book. It's so beautifully developed and along with Ella, I too found myself falling hard and fast for Luke because of how he started to change her. She was no doubt a little judgmental at first, but as the story progressed she started to shed those attitudes. Mostly though, I thought Ella was brave, outspoken and selfless, despite her flaws, which made her a perfect heroine to read about.

In trying to secure a bright and comfortable future for her sister Tara and Luke, Ella decides to go look for the father. First on the list, Jack Travis. Oh my ovaries. Jack Travis was arrogant, sexy and confident. He definitely lived up to the title of the book with his smooth-talking ways. He might have been a complete womanizer at the start, but any woman who got involved with Jack knew exactly what they were getting into. So I had to appreciate his honesty. With Ella, while he is undeniably fiercely attracted to her in a physical sense, he begins to form an emotional connection as well as with Luke. I loved watching this big manly guy being brought to his knees by the fiesty Ella. I think what I loved so much about Jack though was how inherently, he was one heck of a good guy, thoughtful and compassionate with the right people. Him helping out Ella in her time of need was sweet and had my heart all fluttery. (P.S Jack is not the baby daddy - he never had sex with Tara).

Their chemistry was smoking from the very beginning, but more than that I enjoyed the banter they shared more than anything. It was fun watching them converse and the emotional connection they grow as a result of this banter was the best. Their romance was definitely slow burn and Jack had a lot to do to convince Ella that being exclusive and having a relationship is worth it. I loved how he went after her and broke down her walls. When they gave in to that attraction? PHEW! Lisa Kleypas' books, especially her contemporary ones, also manage to be very emotional. This one always makes me cry at one scene and then again towards the end. And if you know me, you know I'm not much of a book-crier, but I don't know what it is about Lisa Kleypas' writing, she just has me bawling my eyes out.

As you can tell, I'm hopelessly in love Smooth-Talking Stranger. It's one of the best contemporary romances I have ever read and will be a favorite for the rest of my life. If you haven't read this one, DO IT NOW.

Who is your favorite re-formed womanizer?
Let me know in the comments below!